Position: Main Artist, Game Designer
Game Platform: iOS
Development Tool: Unity, Photoshop
Date: 09/2015- 09/2016
Eric Teo, Chris McGinnis, Wen Shi, and Alexander Feigenbaum
COGNITION is a “tap-former” puzzle game for iOS devices that requires players to use careful planning and a nimble finger to control two perpetually rotating cogs named Click and Cogsworth. By tapping on the screen, players will stop one cog which frees up the other cog to move, thus allowing players to navigate the crazy imaginary worlds inside the mind of a troubled inventor and recover the inventor’s memory and bring him back to reality. Easy to learn and packed with whimsical adventures.
What I did?
· Made mood board for visual style guidance.
· Various concept arts which helped for different versions of prototypes and futher art work.
· Art assets for all different game scenes - childhood, teenage, adult.
· Created animation for the cute characters to represent their different moods.
· Gameplay tuning and playtesting.
· Made UI/UX based on the game art style, game flow and narrative, all for letting this brain adventure full of fun and without getting lost.
Everything is cute and colorful in this period of memory. No sharp object, no death.
The objects in the memory is getting danger than childhood. More study objects and sharp objects start to showing up. The childhood toys has been modified by the inventor.
The memory is going crazy!!! Surrounding is so unsafe, must be careful about the creepy teddy bear!
Every time when player got hit/ dead, instead of going back to the start of the level, time will rewind to the few seconds ago. The whole game has less punishment but more enjoyable time.
Level Select Interface
Game Pause UI
Game Scene Objects
Cognition has three scenes, which represent the inventor's childhood, youth, and adulthood memory. The items in each scene not only represent the inventor's daily use objects in different life periods, push the narrative but also made a good job of representing the game mechanism and game difficulty curve.
Character animation sprite sheet
Collectibles in the game
· Featured in 129 countries’ Apple App Store
· Best Mobile Game Finalist of Casual Connect USA 2016
· Nominated for Best Mobile Game and Best Student Game for Playcrafting 16 Bit Award.
· NYU Game Center Incubator 2016, Offical Selects
· Tokyo Game Show 2016, Indie Game Selects
· Showcased at IndieCade East 2016, Playcrafting, Brooklyn Brewery
Since our team teamed up in late 2015, a lot of new ideas have led us to kill our prototype babies and raise new babies again and again. We are very happy with the game we currently have.
The contents below are our early game pitches and prototypes during different periods. Even if most of the art assets I was drawn are not be used in the final game, but I am very glad for I got a lot of practice on drawing quick concept art which services for each prototype.